Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricanes are Cold

Today is Tuesday--do you know what that means?  It means it's a couch-to-5k day!  Week 2, Day 1 to be precise.

Since the hurricane devastated us (read: we had one flicker of power, my husband says 2)(sorry for the slam yesterday, Pepco)(hey, when I'm wrong I say I'm wrong), we got the day off from work!  So we headed out for a nice, slightly rainy, slightly windy outdoor run.  Normally we run out to the Woodrow Wilson bridge and back, but as we just had a hurricane pass through we thought, maaaaaybe running across a 2 mile bridge is not the best idea.  Unsure as to whether or not we are allowed to run on the streets of National Harbor (seriously, they have fake cops on tricycle segway knockoffs who will reprimand you for doing things--nicely, of course), we decided to run toward the back of the property where it has not yet been developed and there are only townhouses in the corner.

This was my great idea.  So we set off.   As soon as we walked outside, we were *freezing*.  We warmed up once we started running, but the warm-up was c-c-c-c-cold!

I quickly learned that National Harbor is built on an incline.  We are very much so toward the bottom of said incline.  Let's just say I was embarrassed by the heavy breathing I had toward the end of the 5 minute warm-up walk (which, in my defense, was entirely uphill).  Today's plan is 90 seconds of running followed by 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.   It was nice.  I love running in windy, lightly drizzly coldness!

The second running interval was entirely uphill, but other than that it wasn't too bad.  We zig-zagged back down the hill in an attempt to save our knees.  I think we were successful.  During the final running interval, we saw a deer at the edge of the woods.  Upon further inspection, there were at least two more slightly deeper in the woods.  What a great run!

***Topic Change Alert***

I've been doing very well with my food.  The myfitnesspal.com system is working very well for me.  I'm curious to see how the first week goes to see if my results match my hard work!  Friday I will weigh-in and see the fruits of my labor!

I am doing things a bit differently--it is all about total calories in vs calories burned.  I do try to keep it balanced, but I am not as rigid as before.  By way of a tasty example, today I used a free Pinkberry mini coupon I had.  I had chocolate hazelnut frozen yogurt (135 calories) with chocolate shavings (35 calories) as a topping.  I still have 115 calories remaining for the day, but will leave those be as I am satisfied. 

If get my desired results and can eat Pinkberry, I could get used to this...

1 comment:

  1. So I used MFP for years for the random weight I wanted to lose and it works so well, assuming you have the original calculation correct. And though doctors and nutritionists may not TELL you this, you totally can lose weight by eating twinkies alone, or pinkberry! LOL. You are right, the basics are what matters...calories in vs. calories out. I love reading your blog again! way to go on all the healthy choices. :-)

    ReplyDelete