Monday, October 29, 2012

Midday Day Off Lifting

Snow day with no snow?  Yes, please!  (<--see how happy I am?  This will change once we inevitably lose power due to the FRANKENSTORM!!!.  Stay tuned for the next post which will likely be days later once power is restored.  I'm scowling at you, Pepco.)

Today I initially had the great idea of doing a 30-50 minute stair workout in our building going only upstairs, then jogging to the elevator, jogging back to the staircase and doing it again, repeatedly.  My husband was on board with this plan.  Then it occurred to me that due to the hurricane, we would not be going rock climbing tonight, and as such a better supplementary workout would be lifting.

However, since I was *SO* excited about stairs we decided to do a 10 minute stair warm-up.  And we sort of did.  Sort of...

You see, we have lived here for nearly 5 months and have never actually taken the stairs.  I know where the stairwell by our unit is (coughacrossthehallfromourdoorcough), but I have never actually used them.  And they are nowhere near the elevators, which I know very well. 

We went to the gym to drop off our water bottles and my lifting bag then headed to the stairwell.  The gym is on the "mezzanine" level and the stairwell by it only goes down one floor to the street.  Fail.  There is another stairwell on that floor.  Which *also* only goes to the street.  Double Mezzanine Fail.

So, we took the elevator up one floor to the 2nd floor and headed to the stairwell across from our unit.  We went from floor 2 up to floor 10.  We then went (read: I walked, Josh jogged) to the elevator and went back to the 2nd floor to do it again.  I noticed on the second run that the stairwell claims to go from C2 (the lowest garage level) up to floor 10.  So, I naturally had the brilliant idea of doing C2 through 10 for the last run.  We went to C2 in the garage, pretty easily found the stairwell entrance, climbed up past C1 to the first floor--where we came up against a locked gate and had to exit outside on the street.  Sigh.  We then quit the stairs and went to the gym to lift.  The whole ordeal lasted 11 1/2 minutes.  Nice warm-up.  :)

I went for a basic reintroduction to lifting.  I shot for 12-15 reps on each set:

Seated Leg Extensions: 85/15, 85/15, 100/15
Seated Leg Curls: 85/15, 100/15, 100/15
Lat Pulldowns: 40/15, 55/l5, 70/15
Seated Cable Row: 40/15, 55/15, 55/12
Chest Superset
   DB Chest Press: 15/15, 15/12, 15/12
   DB Chest Flyes: 15/15, 15/12, 15/12

It felt good to be lifting again.  I am hoping to do this once a week.  I should probably add back in shoulders and arms too.  And core.  Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment