Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sneaky Treadmill

I'm in a pretty good health and fitness zone.  By this I mean that I am sticking to my daily caloric intakes and I am feeling good when I exercise.

Today I ran on the treadmill.  Per Saturday's post, I am once again doing Week 6 of the Couch-to-5K program.  Today was Day 2: run 10, walk 5, run 10. 

I felt great the whole time!  I love when that happens.  (More on this later).  Also, I ran the fastest speed I've run since starting the program for a little bit tonight.  You see, I'm a jogger.  I am finish-this-without-feeling-like-I-need-an-oxygen-tank kinda girl.  I typically don't run fast(er) unless I am in a race passing people (Passing Other Runners: one of my favorite running-related activities) or I am just in good enough shape I don't realize I am doing it.  At my best (Spring 2010) I was routinely running long distances between 10:30 and 12:30s and I ran a half marathon sub-10s.  Yeah, I cannot currently do that.  My pace for this couch-to-5K (on a treadmill, not outside) is 4.7 mph (12:45s), with the occasional *push* to 4.8 (12:30s). 

Today, I ran on a treadmill in our condo gym.  Now I am not sure the brand, but it has a feature I do not like.  (It also has features I do like, namely a fan.)  It does that crazy thing where it changes the speed you program one or two decimals.  For example, if I put in 4.7 mph, I may look down and see I am going 4.5 mph, or 4.8 mph.  I am trying to figure out what the heck it is doing.  I wonder if there is a way it sensors if I am pushing more or less and it adjusts, but I just don't think it's that complicated.  It drives me crazy.  It's "banans"!

So today, during my second 10 minute run, I looked down and saw it was at 4.5.  WHAT?!?!  So, I bumped it up, but it went to 4.8.  So I left it there.  And it went back down to 4.5.  WHAT?!?!  So, I put it to 5.0 thinking it would accommodate me down to 4.7.  And it did not.  So, I ended up running the last 5 minutes at 5 mph (12s).  And it was easy.  Which means, as we all know, that I am not pushing hard enough.  OR...that I am having a great day.  (More on this later.)  I was so jazzed, I bumped up the final minute:  30 seconds on 5.5, 30 seconds on 6.  I am a beast.  Well played, sneaky treadmill.  Well played.

Is it later yet?  YES.  So, I regularly have the same health & fitness epiphany and them promptly forget it.  It revisited me today.  It typically goes something like this.

Man!  My workout was great today.  I felt so great the entire time.  I feel like a [week|month|year] ago I would have been a mess during that, but today...today was GREAT!  I wonder why.  <pause>  Oh yeah, I've eaten healthily and made smart choices for the not too distant past.  When I eat healthy, I feel healthy.  Genius!!!

Ready to forget it again...  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment