Saturday, January 5, 2013

2013 in Review: Recipe Edition

First blog post of 2013!!!!  Since I have not posted ALL week, here is my YEAR IN REVIEW*:

Tuesday, January 1st:  We hosted a large brunch.  I cooked a lot of food.  The good thing about being the hostess is that I stressed so much, I didn't eat all that much.  But I did have some pretty high calorie brunch foods--most notably, Nutella-Stuffed Custard French Toast--and if you combine that with my bottomless mimosa cup, I like hit or exceeded my daily calorie limit.  This was counteracted by me being on my feet cooking and hosting for the better part of 7 hours.  :)  Other crowd favorites were the Apple Jalapeño Meatballs and Buffalo Chicken Dip we made in our crockpots.

Wednesday, January 2nd: Over my daily calorie limit by 117 calories.  Where under is the goal, if I am going to go over, this is a nice and small number.  Even though I wasn't "successful", I consider this a success.  I walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes as well. 

Thursday, January 3rd: Over my daily calorie limit by 157 calories.  Yes, the Taco Bell for dinner was totally worth it.**

Friday, January 4th: Over my daily calorie limit by 336 calories.  I am sensing a pattern.  :/  Where this is not good, but calorie limit has a 500 calories deficit to account for a goal of one pound lost per week.  If I am 500 calories over, I should be maintaining my current weight.  So, even though this is not ideal, it is still supposed to shed something.***  202 calories came from testing out a new recipe from Drink Your Carbs for brownies that Josh had wanted me to try.  Apparently the DYC website is a place to get recipes on how to save all of your carb intake for beer.  Not a goal I will ever have, but I do like the idea of low carb versions of foods I love.  Interestingly enough, these gluten- and dairy-free brownies are *not* low carb.  But in the words of the website:

Fact: Not all cheats are created equal. These brownies are a far better choice than a Twinkie, and not just because you now have to buy those for $200 each off eBay. If you are going to treat yourself, these are the highest protein, lowest sugar dessert we’ve come across. And more importantly, they don’t taste like it. 

I also weigh-ed in (since I do that on Fridays) and I was down 0.8 pounds.  I am back to where I was before Christmas (when I gained that pesky 0.8 lbs).  Guess I undid the New Year's Eve and New Year's Day damage.

Saturday, January 5th: UNDER MY DAILY CALORIE LIMIT.  By 107 calories.  And it feels good.  Today was one of those great days where you eat tasty food, don't go hungry and still meet the calorie goal.  I ran on the treadmill today and that gave me some extra calories to work with.  I also had  a DYC brownie AND a (nonfat) caramel latte from Wegmans.  All wins.  For the running I did Week 6 Day 1 of the Couch-to-5K program.  Week 6 is my Groundhog Day.  I keep doing Days 1 & 2, then not running for a few days or a week, then doing them again.  I will do Day 3 soon.  And then, who knows?  Maybe Week 7.  Maybe...

*So far.  Current up to Saturday, January 5th, 2013.
**Little known fact: Taco Bell is one of my guilty pleasures.
***I am quite the optimist today.    

No comments:

Post a Comment