Monday, November 12, 2012

Only for Holly...

Today I had no work.  Normally this means I would sing my no work song (Lyrics: No work, no work, la lala lala lalaaaaaaaaa) and sleep in.  Once I awoke and left my bed (not necessarily in quick succession), I would likely eat breakfast, then sit on my couch for a bit.  Perhaps check out Lifetime for an original movie, perhaps not.  I know, living crazy.

Not today though, not today.

Holly suggested I come work out with her.  Since I rarely see her anymore now that I live (in a magical place) far away from everyone that I know and love (except for my sexy husband).  So, I woke up at 0530, carpooled in with my husband, dropped him off to work the morning, went to Holly's house, followed her to drop her son off at school, followed her to my old stomping grounds (more on this later), met Justin there, exercised (more on this later), hot tubbed, picked up my husband, went (indirectly) to Arlington National Cemetery (more on this later) to pay our Veteran's Day respects, came home, napped, went climbing with Josh (more on this later),  came home again, made dinner, and wrote this blog post. 

I repeat, only for Holly.

I owe you some additional details:

...my old stomping grounds...

I went to Lifetime Fitness in Columbia!  It was nice to be back.  I saw two people who had quit while I was a member (April 2009 - January 2012) and work there now.  It's like Hotel California. 
...exercised...
They got some crazy new elliptical machines.  Naturally, I wanted to try them out.  You can set your stride length!  CRAZINESS!  Also, they have a place to stand on the outsides of the elliptical track so you can do some dumbbell work (and, of course, they have dumbbells attached) or use just your arms for an upper body cardio workout.  Throughout my 30 minutes, I did 2 2-minute arm sets.  Interesting.  And fun!

...went (indirectly) to Arlington National Cemetery...

This was a mess.  But an important mess that I'm glad we did.  Since we were north, I suggested we drive directly there.  Josh said parking would be AWFUL.  I suggested parking at a metro stop near it on the (long) way home.  So, we took the west side of the beltway home and decided to park in Rosslyn.  You see, there is a garage ATTACHED to the Rosslyn metro station...that is currently closed because it is under construction.  We ended up missing turns, driving in circles and finally parking.  Once we entered the metro (down the longest escalator in my memorable experience--terrifying, remember my fears of falling to my death??!?!?) we barely missed the train...and sat for 12 minutes waiting for the next one to take us the one stop to Arlington.  Sigh.  Likely would have been faster to go home and take the metro in from there...lesson learned.

But once we got there it was wonderful.  There is something indescribable about taking advantage of our close proximity to the cemetery to visit it on Veteran's Day.  This is something Josh has tried to do every Memorial and Veteran's Day and I am glad to join him.  We sat and paid our respects at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  We decided to stay for the Changing of the Guard, which I love.  It was only my second time there, but I hope to make the trip semiannually at a minimum.  

...went climbing with Josh...

Josh climbed.  I belayed.  I was super sore from the hike yesterday and I ellipticalled this morning.  Josh did two climbs and then hit the wall so hard with both feet I thought he broke something.  He did.  For now, just his toenails.  He claims nothing else.  Time will tell.

Back to work and couch-to-5k tomorrow.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment