Friday, November 2, 2012

Sucralose?! More like Sucra-GROSS!

For my mid-morning snack I enjoy some yogurt and fruit.  It is wonderful.  I buy the 12 pack of small yogurts and eat two every day.  It's great.  Sometimes I get the Strawberry/Blueberry pack and sometimes I get the Strawberry/Peach one.  All the time, it's delicious.

This week, we did our shopping in 3 separate trips.  Friday night, we bought minimal non-perishables in case we lost power for several days.  We don't really keep things like that in the house, so we thought it would be a good idea to get some.  Sunday, we bought dinner foods for Sunday and Monday night (in the event we lost power on Monday due to the storm we didn't want to lose too much food).  Then on Tuesday night, we bought food for the remainder of the week.  We had survived the storm with no break in power, so we would have been fine, but I guess we couldn't have known. 

Anyways, I blame this nonstandard shopping trip for my critical error.  When I got to the yogurts, I saw Strawberry and Blueberry on the box and bought it.  And it was "Light". 

Just look at how easy it was to confuse them:

Who looks for a light blue swooshy area?  No one.  Ok, whatever, I can do light.  I'm flexible.  So yesterday was the first day I packed it in my lunch box.  (Ok, it's a lunch bag, but that sounds weird to me.)

I started with the blueberry.  It was bad.  I mean, B-A-D-BAD.  But I ate it.  Mostly to keep my diet consistent so my body would get roughly what it expects (I am training it, you see).  Then I got to the strawberry.  It is one of the worst things I have ever put in my mouth.  After bite 2 or 3 I actually felt my stomach convulse in a slight gagging motion.  I am not one prone to such things.  Since I am stubborn about calories, I finished it.  It was rough.  Today, I ate 2 blueberries.  Not as bad, but not good either.  I will be throwing out the rest and purchasing the regular kind tonight.

After I finished them yesterday, I studied the package to see what the deal was.  I noticed they contained sucralose.  Interestingly enough, I had *just* read Lyn's blog about how she accidentally bought fruit in sucralose and hated it as well.  Lyn wrote that sucralose is what Splenda is.  I have always disliked Splenda as well.  I just find it too sweet.  I wish I could use it in my coffee, but I just can't. 

I am not sure what the sucralose craze is all about.  I wonder if it's like cilantro--some people love it, others think it tastes like soap (I'm in the soap camp)--maybe it actually tastes good to some.  Not to me and Lyn.  :)  I, for one, am a huge fan of aspartame.  I love me a Diet Coke.  When I was in college, I worked in a supermarket and some woman talked to me for like 30 minutes about how Diet Coke gave her Lupus and that's why she was buying (literally) hundreds of dollars of natural, anti-biotic free, grass-fed meats.  I feel for her, but don't see her anecdotal evidence as a valid reason to quit it.  :)  But I digress. 

I've never minded sugar-free, artifically sweetened stuff before sucralose came around.  I also don't mind real sugar.  Like most things, it's fine in moderation.  But this sucralose stuff?  No thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment